At the start of the year, I made a resolution as most people do. Over the last year or two, I’ve gained weight. There’s no ifs, ands or buts (but definitely butts) about it. With my new job, I found myself getting lunch out more than before and was definitely looking at the nutritional value of my meals with rose colored glasses. Like I wrote earlier last year, I just kidded myself into thinking that it was muscle weight. However, I saw a picture tagged on Facebook that made me confront the ugly truth. With a wedding coming in September, I’ve got all the motivation I need to finally teach myself sustainable habits.
One month down and about 8 pounds later, I’m on track. And this lovely lunch-time Chicken Salad Sandwich recipe (adapted for my macros from HowSweetEats) is helping me meet my macro ratio and keep me full through my day. I first tried this recipe the night before my fiancé and I were going to run a local Taekwondo tournament. In the middle of a very active day, that lunch kept me full and happy. It’s also my-man-approved! What’s a diet when you can eat delicious things without feeling deprived? It’s not a diet. It’s a lifestyle change.
Okay, story over. Time to make the recipe! Let me know how you liked it and what modifications you made!
- 3 Chicken Breasts (Boneless, skinless) (Approx 1.5 lbs)
- 1 Cup Plain Non-fat Greek Yogurt
- ¼ Cup Chopped Parsley
- ⅓ Cup Green Onion
- ½ Cup Toasted Almonds (sliced)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Juice of ½ Lemon
- 2 slices of toasted Whole Grain Bread
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Pepper Spice
- ½ tsp. Salt
- Preheat Oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Liberally season the chicken breasts with Lemon Pepper and place in oven to back for 25-35 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts.
- While the chicken is baking, toast the sliced Almonds on a skillet using 1 T of Olive Oil. It only takes about 5 minutes, and they can burn easily. Set aside to cool.
- Chop the Parsley and Green Onion. Zest the 1 lemon, then chop it in half to prepare for the ½ Lemon Juice.
- Once the chicken is done baking, let rest for 10 minutes.
- Shred or cube the chicken breast and add it to a large mixing bowl.
- Add ¾ Cup of Greek Yogurt, Parsley, Green Onion, Toasted Almonds, Lemon Zest, Lemon Juice, Salt and 1 T of Olive Oil to mixing bowl with chicken.
- Mix until well combined. Serve on toasted whole grain bread.