I’m a big fan of good-old American popcorn – popcorn with butter that you just know is going to clog your arteries, and you just don’t care. Call it one of my vices. It’s one of the many reasons why I workout so much.
However, I come from an Italian family, and we just can’t help ourselves from experimenting and changing every classic dish we come across. Thus, I present to you a slightly healthier version — Homemade Italian Savory Popcorn.
Organic Popcorn Kernels: Because popcorn out of a bag is just not the same and it needs to die. Moment of silence for popcorn-out-of-a-bag.
Basil: One of my most favorite Mediterranean spices. In the summer, I’ll use fresh Oregano when I can get it out of my balcony garden.
Parmesan: This strong cheese adds a punch to the dish, and it doesn’t quite melt on the kernels which is perfect.
Olive Oil: Trust me on this one, you don’t want butter with these other ingredients. I’ve tried it, and it’s weird. And wrong.
What’s your favorite popcorn recipe? Do you have a favorite kernel brand?
- ⅓ cup organic popcorn kernels
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
- 8 Basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Put a medium saucepan on Medium heat.
- Pouru Olive Oil in the sauce pan until it covers the bottom (approx 2 Tablespoons).
- Place one kernel of popcorn in the middle of the sauce pan, and cover with a lid.
- Once the first kernel has popped, pour the rest of the ⅓ cup of popcorn kernels in the sauce pan.
- Shake the saucepan every 30 seconds or so to prevent burning. After a few minutes, the popcorn will be popped and ready to go.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and pour the popcorn into a large bowl.
- Add Parmesan cheese, chopped Basil, one tablespoon Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper and stir to combine evenly.