I lead a pretty active lifestyle. I’ve got some serious personal goals with my mind and body, and I’m pursuing them with passion. However, that means I’m left with sore muscles daily, and while I appreciate that burn, sometimes I just want a little relief. I mean we work so hard to feel so sore, and leg day doesn’t make me want to leave my apartment to get Icy Hot.
Pro-tip: Put this salve in the freezer for one minute before rubbing it on your sore, tired, why-do-you-do-this-to-me muscles for even more cooling sensations.
I used just three ingredients for the homemade salve base, and four essential oils (listed below). Scroll down for the entire recipe.
Eucalyptus (Globulus)*: Applied topically, it is often used to soothe muscles after exercise. This is where part of the fresh menthol-esque scent comes from.
Lavender: It’s an adaptogen, and therefore can assist the body when adapting to stress or imbalances. It’s a great aid for relaxing, and can soothe common cuts, bruises and skin irritations (yoga mat rash, anyone?).
Black Pepper: It’s useful topically for soothing muscles after exercise. This is where the warming sensation comes from. A little bit goes a LONG way.
Peppermint: It can often relieve inflammation because of it’s analgesic properties. This is a really strong oil, so dilute, dilute, dilute!
*Eucalyptus should be avoided if a person has a history of seizures or epilepsy (source). Safety, is important, people. Read up, and always test small patches of skin for possible allergies before slathering it all over your bod.
- ¾ Cup Coconut Oil
- ¼ Cup Beeswax
- 1 Tablespoon Almond Oil
- 3 drops Vitamin E Oil (to preserve)
- 20 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 15 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 15 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 5 drops Black Pepper Essential Oil
- Use a double boiler to melt the Coconut Oil, Beeswax, and Almond Oil together. This takes about 15 minutes.
- Chill the oil mixture in the refrigerator until the mixture drops below room temperature but does not solidify fully. This took about 20 minutes for me.
- Take the mixture out of the refrigerator and add your drops of Essential Oil and Vitamin E oil.
- Mix thoroughly, and store in a cosmetic grade container.